Saturday, May 19, 2007

Now we have a REAL crisis. All that other stuff? HA! No big deal compared to this!! .... My fingernails are messed up! :)

Seriously though, a kind of double ridge has developed across all my fingernails, creating a line where the nails are extremely thin. I mean, there's like a real dip across each nail. Since my fingernails are famously thick and hard -as- nails and I practically have to use tile nippers to keep them cut back, the ridge/depression is an indication of the dip in my health. I find it oddly interesting, while annoying as well, of course.

I'm sure it's like the rings of a tree actually. If I knew the usual rate of growth, I might be able to tell precisely when the ridge was formed. As it is, I've only really noticed it as it has grown out to about the middle of my nail pads. It has become more than a cosmetic thing since my fingernails have started to crack on the sides (ends) of some of the ridges. I obviously canNOT allow them to snap there because half my fingertips would be ripped off.

SOooo, I'm cutting off all my pretty fingernails to lessen the possibility of a snap (from leverage, cantilevering, stress points, etc). I'll use my favorite repair trick (superglue ;) to reinforce the existing cracks... until that ridge grows out and off the ends of my fingers. Worst case, I can go to a salon and have them coat my nails with their acrylic stuff to temporarily reinforce them and protect my fingeees.

The cause is... Cancer? Chemo? Surgery? All of the above? *shrug* Whatever. It's like a bad hair cut. Grows back eventually. *g* (Still qualifies as a Nail Crisis though! hehe)

Good news is that the nail behind the ridge appears to be nearly as thick as before. Even if this current chemo affects me again, I shall resume. :) I not worried.

No comments: