Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Chemo Day. First One. So far, so good. My day started at a run. I was having a really good sleep, really good. I rarely get this pleasure. I did not expect it, so I didn't set an alarm. Thus, I woke up, looked at the clock, 12:14!!! Sheeeit! I was supposed to be at the treatment center at 12:30! 1) I was in my sleepwear 2) I had to put some lidocaine on my portacath area so it would be numb before they hit it 3) The treatment center is about 45 mins!! from my house. DAYAM

Yes, my feet hit the floor, I raced around the house, I threw all my stuff into the car, and I flew like a bat outta hell 'round the twisty road to the highway. Because of the mountains, there's a cell deadzone for most of the twisty road, so I couldn't call the center to tell them I'm coming until I was on the highway. They were okay with my tardiness. I relaxed a bit and at least drove safely from there on in. :)

If you're curious, here's what happenened. (If you're not curious, skip the rest of my blog and have a nice day. I'm fine. ;)

My Afternoon: They accessed the port and took blood samples for testing. They started an IV, giving me anti-nausea meds. When that was finished, they started the oxaliplatin, which is the one that takes the longest, about two hours. I also got leucovorin which is supposed to make the other drugs more effective. When the drips were finished, I got a big dose of 5FU and then they hooked up my line to a ball which is under pressure and will continue to pump in more 5FU over the next two days. That's the fanny pack bit which I'm wearing now and I'll go in Friday afternoon to get that unhooked. Total time: 4 hrs.

I do all that seven more times at two week intervals.

Despite the fact that in my haste I forgot my freakin laptop!, I was fine for the afternoon. They had cable and I watched Green Mile in between catnaps. ;)

So far, no side effects. As I said, all is well, I am fine. (Tom Hanks was good company ;)

No comments: