Thursday, May 10, 2007

Modesty aside, my actual vocabulary is quite extensive. I don't use the best of it because it's redundant having to swap in more common words or offer clarifying explanations, post-confusion. I mean, the point of conversing IS communication and that fails if one person is using words the other just doesn't comprehend, right?

The vastness of my vocabulary extends to the vulgar side as well. *weg* Man, I can sling profanity with the best of them, trust me. But what's funny is, I don't use that stuff when you'd think I might. Generally, the F and S and GDMFSOBRB words are used in mild discomfiture or just to add color to ordinary comments.

What do I say when I am totally blown away, like when I found out one of my anti-nausea drugs costs about $36 per tiny tablet? "Holy Cats!" Yep, not anything offensive, just a bewildered vocal rendition of "Holy Cats!" Yes, I repeated it when I found out that price is for the generic!

I discovered this info when my Rx for qty of 30 was filled for 9 tablets. I called the pharmacy to see if this was an error. No, 9 tablets is all the insurance company will allow within 30 days. I honestly can't blame them, but I think someone should investigate the manufacturer.

I only paid a copay of $10, which is bad enough at $1.11 per. (hehe $1.11... okay that part's funny :) but I am gobsmacked at the full cost, I don't care who is paying it.

You'd better believe I will take as little of this drug as I can. I think maybe I'd rather heave now and then (and I HATE doing that) instead of forking over $36 I don't have for more of this stuff. But... ask me again after 7 more treatments of cumulative side effects. hehe I did take one tablet last night because the nurse said it was a good idea since the pre-chemo stuff commonly wears off by bedtime and the first night after each round could be ugly. Okay, fine, I'll stick with that and hope that covers it. So far, no trouble with my tummy at all.

About $1100 for the full 30?? Holy Cats!! I can't imagine, and don't really want to know, the cost of the brand version, which is Zofran, btw. sheesh

Otherwise, the initial chemo round has had little effect. I know what they meant about the nerve sensations from cold things. It's a tingling akin to when your hand or foot falls asleep and what you feel when it's 'waking up' again. But currently, it's very very mild and fleeting and doesn't always happen. So for now, I'm still drinking iced drinks and handling stuff from the fridge and freezer without gloves.

No comments: