Friday, March 23, 2007

I will say this for the desert... when stuff comes up, it comes up fast. I heard about the water coming fast; that's what the arroyos are for. I now see the plants are opportunistic as well. I suppose they must be to survive long periods without a drink. Carpe diem, eh? Seems the plants around here spring up under even the briefest of sprinkles.

Yesterday I was looking out at bare-limbed pecan trees lined up in bare dirt. My view has been the same since I got here in mid-January. Today, after a quick and light shower of rain, I can see buds covering the tree limbs and there are lines and lines of something green growing beneath the trees. (Weeds I'm sure, but hey, it's green!) Plus, some of the scrubby stuff in between our house and the grove has suddenly sprouted yellow or white blooms.

It's not like Home or the more lush river and mountain areas where I've lived, but it IS the Rio Grande river valley... and it's greening. Right on time too, eh? I mean, Spring just sprung officially a couple of days ago. Good on ya, desert.

No comments: