Sunday, June 27, 2004

There is a machine, a marvelous machine, whose hulk is unmistakable, but generally ignored. The quietly humming sentinel stands tall, unmoving, keeping safe many treasures, and sometimes science projects. It generally needs no tending, only filling and the occasional sorting or shuffling of items within. It makes no demands of its own. It is a giver of light, when asked. It is a giver of cold, without having to be reminded. In fact, it gives quite selflessly of everything in its possession, in exchange for a mere pittance of energy to simply do its protective work. It keeps out intruders, except for those possessing opposable thumbs and enough muscle power to gain entry. All in all, it is a marvel, yet woefully taken for granted.

Yes, our refrigerator was delivered today and I am thrilled to let the Coleman cooler return to its previously designated use. I may not even mind the next few grocery trips as I restock, and no longer have a daily quest for bags of ice. I shall also enjoy the ease of stuffing my glass into the door of the thing to get ice and/or ice water. Oh yes, refrigeration was one of our best inventions. I am thankful.

No comments: