Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Finally meeting with surgeon in Alb today at 2:30pm. Hoping to have a date (asap in March, please) for the reversal when I walk outta there. Might need to stay over in Alb if the 3-4 hour drive up proves to be enough for one day and/or if any diagnostics are needed and they can be scheduled for Wednesday.

Have also done a little web research on adjuvant chemotherapy. Pleased to be finding support for my regimen preference of continuous infusion (24/7 IV machine in a fanny pack) vs bolus (megadose for hours in clinic followed by days/week of suffering?). There can easily be side effects from continuous infusion too, but I handled the neoadjuvant rounds so well, I really think I'd do much better with that. Gonna have big powwows with the chemo oncologist(s) about options.

I was beginning to doubt the need for any further treatment since the main surgery seems to have 'got it all'. However, I have read enough to believe that futher chemo is prudent in the prevention of recurrence or possible traveling of cancer cells elsewhere in my body (micrometastases). While they checked and there was no evidence of any spread outside the tumor area which was completely removed, sometimes the micros can escape detection. Chemotherapy usually wipes them out. I'm all for that, even if it's just insurance.

Enough clinical talk for now. I'm going back to web and channel surfing :) I'm such a media junkie.

No comments: