Monday, October 23, 2006

Weekend was rough. The cumulative effect of the radiation has finally made itself known by pretty much burning my tender bits in the irradiated area until I'm raw. Using suggested creams and ointments but they're not managing it. Got a script today though for some Vicodin. Doesn't resolve the root cause of the problem but fixes my brain's pain receptors so I don't care? hehe Actually, even that isn't completely alleviating my discomfort, but it's much more tolerable.

Fortunately, I'm on my next-to-last week! So I'll do what I gotta do to get to the end of this phase. Was prescribed 30 radiation treatments --- only nine left! Only two more batches of chemo and the last one will be shortened to conclude at the same time as the radiation.

New information, at least to me: Vicodin, Lortab and some other 'good drugs' are actually the same thing... hydrocodone with acetaminophen. Hydrocodone is a synthetic opiate (opioid) derived from two naturally occurring opiates, codeine and thebaine (aka paramorphine). Hydrocodone is a Schedule II narcotic and potentially addictive, physically and/or psychologically.

Firstly, I didn't realize that codeine counted as an opiate.

Secondly, I'm being careful with my use of this stuff so 1) I don't have to fight an addiction later, and 2) it will still have full impact after surgery when I will need more serious pain killing.

Thirdly, the only difference between Vicodin and Lortab is 5mg vs 7.5mg hydrocodone. There's another version with 10mg. Not sure why they did that. I mean, I can get the same quantities with 1, 1.5 or 2 of the 5mg.

And finally, I imagine I'm rambling on about this shit because I'm on Vicodin right now! hehe

No comments: