Thursday, September 09, 2004

Good to go Home and good to be back. Although I dreaded the long drive, I really enjoyed the journey as well as the destinations. Mom & Dad's house is home base, always, and for these trips as well. Wherever I visit in the area, I do it from there. We had a mini-reunion Thursday night at Mom & Dad's house. We'd thought about gathering at a restaurant but it was much better to have sandwiches and leisurely company on the back porch. The weather throughout the extended weekend was gorgeous. I feel for everyone further east who was under the bucket of Hurricane Frances, but still appreciate the sunshine and mild temperatures in the Ohio River Valley.

The first few days of my visit were chillin' and refillin' with lots of family. Nothing better. Then on Sunday morning I collected up three of my nieces so we girls could have a road trip to Grandma's reunion. Carmen, Samantha and Dana B are all hovering 15 yrs of age. Since I'm their cool aunt, instead of mom or whatever, they seemed to feel free to say what's on their mind (ie, they could gripe openly about what Mom and/or Dad and/or other adults say :) I totally understand some of the aggravation of being a teenager, especially a teenage girl. I remember all too well and told them some of my gripes from then. It was great to relate with them. I promised that it does get better. The best thing is just to really get into the stuff you enjoy and do the rest as required. It can be balanced out. Use the good stuff to endure the crap, basically.

The reunion was good. It's a pot luck with lots of conversation in between samplings. I know it's hard for a lot of families to imagine 30 or 40 family members mixing together well. It sounds so boring to say that the whole day and all contacts were pleasant, enjoyable, a real treat, but I swear it's true. Even some personalities that might be on the fringe of harmonious are still pleasant. All of us are really good at making nice with each other and meaning it. Good food, good conversation, lots of laughter, playful teasing, hugs and kisses... I want to joke and say it's almost sickening, but honestly, it's wonderful.

I stayed overnight with Grandma afterwards. I like that because I get her all to myself for a while. We don't do anything earth-shattering. We watch a little TV, have a late night snack, talk about whatever topic comes up. We can do that so easily, even though there's 50 yrs between us. On Monday we took a drive to run a couple of errands for her, but we'd forgotten about the Labor Day holiday making them undoable. So, we just enjoyed the ride together. I say again, my Grandma is terrific, not only for a woman her age, but just for being all that she is.

I also enjoyed the ride back here. I took my time, stopped overnight halfway, did a little sight seeing. I think I'd like more of these sorts of trips, not just by car or between here and Home. I've been thinking of lots of places I'd like to see, exotic places, ancient places. I'm hoping I'll soon have an opportunity to go on these treks. We'll see.

In the meantime, I have GOT to get Home more often. It just isn't good for me to go so long without being really in touch with my family, more than phone calls and email. I just gotta be with them now and then, because I love them so and feel so loved when I'm with them. Yeah, I know it's there all the time, but it's good to have it wrapped all around me.

No comments: