Thursday, April 22, 2004

Okay, to set the stage... the spouse is in Northwest Arkansas, and I am in Southeast Missouri. I have to get this house prepped for sale and get our junk moved from here to there. Of course, before the move can happen, we have to buy a house to move into. Some of the sale prep has been occurring even while I've been reviewing houses to buy - remotely - thank goodness for the internet. Spouse has been driving around and/or touring the ones we've found that look good on paper (or screen). Very few of them look as good in real life. Nearly all of them have had a 'fatal flaw' which knocked them off the possibles list. Realtors are good at lying by omission and fairly creative at the camera work.

Despite all that, we found one, wrote up a buyer's contract. Apparently, so did another set of buyers. Then, the seller's agent did what is surely an unethical thing. It seems she presented both contracts to the seller at the same time, even though ours was reportedly drawn up first. Well, the other buyers did something we didn't, I guess, because they got the house out from under us. O... K... Fine.

Back to the MLS listings. More selections. More fatal flaws. That was the 2nd Wave.
Back to the MLS listings, hack half our wish list, get some possibles, weed the fatal flaws...
and we find another house which we're reluctant but desperate to buy.

BTW, Northwest Arkansas is loaded with properties and the prices are good but we absolutely refuse to live in a house that's only 10 ft from other houses, or old enough that there's a list of repair work waiting for us to take possession.

Anyway, we picked this house. Well, Spouse picked it more than me, but I've seen the pictures. It is brand new, no previous occupants. This is a bonus. It has a pretense of privacy despite being in a subdivision. Also good. It is also, in my opinion, too freakin prissy. The style of this thing (French Provincial) is SO not me that I found it depressing. Spouse says it's not all that frufru in actuality, but his taste runs that way so I discount his judgement.

However... I am also damned tired of the wild goose chase and so at this point I'm about ready to buy anything just to get this dog and pony show on the road.

Negotiations on the prissy house (or would that be prisseè?) are in progress. I am trying not to stress over this transition, but I feel like I'm stuck in a serious hurry-up-and-wait mode that can only get worse. FYI, patience is not my strongest virtue. I am not good at idling, but I also hate being forced into emergency mode. All of that is happening or likely to. The logistics of this thing are just too complex. I want to be done with all of this - yesterday!

So, to get things moving, literally, I hope we get this house, but even if we get it, I am not the happiest camper, because it's just too fancied up. It most certainly would not be my choice, if I had a choice.

Now, in order to soothe my jagged nerves a bit, I have gone totally anal retentive. I've made up a floor plan from a few pictures, a virtual tour, and Spouse's descriptions. I've tried to work our furniture into the spaces and determine where the holes are. I've also designed a color scheme to work through the whole place.

I guess I'm trying to convince myself that I can in fact tolerate this dwelling. Compared to some of the places we had to live in Nebraska, due to very small market, this really is not a hardship, but, it still irks.

I won't go into the furniture thing since you'd have to know how NOT suitable our furnishings are for this house, but I can fake it, I guess. However, I think my color scheme is clever and so I'll share it. I may use it in whatever house we end up occupying.

The overall theme is Seasons. Simple enough.
Great Room (living and dining): Autumn - earthy jewel tones, like nutmeg brown, hunter green, navy blue, rusty burgundy, and maybe even some eggplant purple tossed in
Kitchen: Summer - spice and pepper colors, ala sundried tomato, cayenne, oregano, cinnamon, with linens in unbleached muslin to knock the shine off all the frikken high-white cabinetry
Master Bedroom and Bath: Winter - going much cooler with whites and greys grounded with some black, then accented in more vibrant blue, magenta, purple
Guest Bedroom: Spring, but NO pastels... grass green, bright yellow, and other floral colors to fill out a wildflower sort of garden
Main Bath: also Spring, but I think maybe all those vibrant colors played out almost confetti-style, sort of a mix and match, little spots of all the colors here and there among the accessories

There's a 3rd bedroom which will be the office/computer room. I doubt there will be much of any decorating there. Gotta have a load of support furniture. BUT, if there's color, it will be purple, my favorite. Notice how I can work that into all the rooms :)

Throughout, I plan to soften and naturalize with shitloads of silk greenery.

And... that's more than anyone likely wants to know, but hey, it's my blog, I can blather if I want to, yes?

Now I await the outcome of the horse (house) trading process to see if we get this place which I don't really want although I've already virtually moved us into it.

No comments: