Thursday, August 03, 2006

ow Ow OW! This pains me. It slays me. It's butchery and I know it's a common mistake but I can't help being injured by it. I learned proper English and I can't stand it when someone hacks it!

I caught a major error on the Discovery Channel. Granted, the crime was not committed by one of the presenters, but still, can they not edit??

"Renee and I's job is..."
MY GAWD!! Renee and I's???
Oh, I cannot tell you how torturous this is to me. It cuts me to the quick. It is SO bad, I feel physically injured.

"Renee's and my job is..." dear ones. That would be the correct assemblage!

It's SO easy. SO freaking easy to test the use of such things. Just take out the 'and' along with the other name!!!

Subtract "Renee and" until you are left with "I's job..."
Is this not obviously a fuck up?
Isn't "My job..." the more common sense, better sounding option?
I mean, if you must combine "My job is..." with "Renee's job is..."
Doesn't it make more sense and just sound better to say "Renee's and my job is..."??!?!?!
Ugh! Shoot me now. I cannot tolerate such vulgar abuse of the English language as "Renee and I's job is..." I simply canNOT.

"Johnny and me went to the store..."
NO. "Johnny and I went to the store..."!!
Remove "Johnny and" then it will be painfully obvious whether one should use "I" or "me", don't you see?
"Me went to the store" is obviously wrong, yes? (Please say Yes!)
"I went to the store" is correct, thus "Johnny and I went to the store" is correct.
How easy can it be?? How woefully ignored is this simple test?

"Her and I..."
*vomit* NO NO NO
"SHE and I..."
"SHE and I..."
"SHE and I..."
She did. I did. She and I did.
It is desperately easy to determine what should be used!

Oh, save me from vile acts upon the structure of English. I will grant that it is a difficult language, but are we not schooled in it for years? Did the majority sleep through those endless lessons in grammar and sentence construction?

Help! Please, someone, reassure me that there are a few English-speaking people who were awake at some point during their education!

*ahem*
<rant mode off>

No comments: