Thursday, March 31, 2005

Easter weekend at Home was terrific. I had a sleep over with two of my teenage nieces. We did some very mod egg decorating, went out for pizza, watched Finding Neverland to drool over Johnny Depp as well as have a good cry. I also got in on some Easter basket action as well as hiding eggs for the kids. I whooped and hollered with several family members during the NCAA basketball game which Kentucky eventually lost but man oh man it was exciting! It's always always always good to see my family, and also good to come back to my home again. It's all good.

The rest of this post is ranting. Feel free to bail out now.

Terri Schiavo
If God ever had a hand in her particular disposition, I dare say it could well have occurred in 1990 with the original cardiac arrest that left her brain dead. I don't see God's hand in anything that has happened since. I could be wrong. I don't know the mind of God. Neither do Schiavo's parents, neither do all the protestors, nor Florida legistators, nor the freakin Congress of the United States. Judging by the sound-bite mentality the masses have shown to have in the past, I'd wager that 99.9% of the people crying foul have NO idea of Schiavo's actual medical condition which emphatically shows she is gone. I don't know what should or should not be done in Terri Shiavo's case, but I do know that her husband has the legal responsibility for making the decision and everyone else is butting in. I also know that if I end up in a similar condition, I want everyone to just let my body die. I assure you, I will have already moved on. Yes, I have informed my spouse, parents and siblings of my wishes. I recommend everyone do the same. And, I for damned sure do NOT want any branch of the government deciding about me and my life or my death.

The Pope
He made an appearance at the window of the Vatican and sucked air like a goldfish out of water. I stand by my prediction that he is on his way out, very soon. I stand by my opinion that the Catholic Church may use that opportunity to make a big, much needed change. I stand by a choice to do just that, being Francis Arinze from Nigeria, who would be the first black pope. Although he may be conservative, his very skin would open a lot of long-closed and rigid minds. The Catholic Church will change or die. This is the same choice they handed out for so long. It's their turn. Paybacks are hell.

Resurrection
What an enticing drama. People seem to love diving into the woeful tale of an innocent Son of God dying a horrible death to save them. What a guilt trip too. I think they're missing the real point. It's not about the death, it's about the life. It's about how Jesus lived and how death did not mean the end. I believe he was trying to demonstrate the divinity available to all, living and after death. But, as is often the case, we've made a huge deal about the messenger and missed the message. As I've said, we seem to have trouble looking where God is actually pointing because we're so doggedly focused on his finger. woof

No comments: